DRUMLINE AUDITION INFORMATION
The drumline has annual auditions that take place in the spring semester before the upcoming fall season. Auditions for 2023 will take place April 29 and May 13 (8:30 am - 5:00 pm for everyone on both days) at Demonstration Hall in East Lansing. Please contact Jon Weber at email@example.com if you unable to make one of these dates.
Individuals who are interested in auditioning should consider attending in-person help sessions during the spring semester. The help sessions are Thursday nights from 6:30 - 8:30 at Demonstration Hall beginning in February. For more information on the help sessions, please visit here:
Register for help sessions / copyrighted music
All interested individuals should first register for help sessions using the link below if they have not already. Even if you cannot make any of the sessions, filling out the form will add you to our information email list which will provide updates, reminders, copyrighted music, and will keep you connected with the MSU Drumline.
Register for auditions with the Spartan Marching Band
Yes, two forms. :) All interested individuals should first register for help sessions using the link below if they have not already. Even if you cannot make any of the sessions, filling out the form will add you to our information email list which will provide updates, reminders, copyrighted music, and allow you to stay connected with the SMB!
In the first round audition (Saturday, April 29), you will play with your section throughout the day. Every incoming student will play an individual audition for Dr. Weber and the appropriate section leader. We will give you feedback on where you stand in the audition process, things you did well, how you can improve, and whether you might have a better chance on a different instrument. Our goal is to make this enjoyable and educational!
In the second round audition (Saturday, May 13), you will play in your subsection / drumline. We will be evaluating your performance in the ensemble. We will announce the 2023 MSU Drumline at the end of the audition!
Notes on Auditions
* We encourage you to audition on the instrument you would most like to play! Dr. Weber and the section leaders will do our best to help you achieve your goal.
* Instrument auditions are separate. A strong audition on snare does not relate to cymbals; anyone who earns a cymbal position must do so based on a cymbal audition.
* Bass drummers, please choose a drum and audition for that drum. We may move you based on what works best for the section as a whole. We will evaluate your audition on how well you play the drum your prepared. Please feel free to contact Dr. Weber on which drum might make the most sense for you.
* Returning members do not have a guaranteed position for the following year. It is possible for an incoming student to earn a position over a returning member. However, this does not happen often.
* Please do not hesitate to ask for feedback! This could be help sessions, videos, email questions, etc.
* Our goal is to have fun achieving excellence. Relax and enjoy the experience as much as you can!
If you have a conflict with the audition date for any reason, please contact Jon Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Although an in-person audition would certainly be best for all, we will work with every individual to find the best solution for getting a complete and fair audition.